domingo, 29 de junho de 2014

Infância

«When I first heard jazz, it wasn’t “jazz”. It was music. I grew up in a household where you could hear Ornette Coleman right next to Otis Reading, where A Love Supreme and Sergeant Peppers were both in heavy rotation, where Old and New Dreams and a Balinese Gamelan Orchestra often shared the same bill. When I was young, I didn’t recognize “jazz” as being categorically separate or substantively different from “blues,” “rock,” “funk,” ”soul,” “classical,” “indian,” “African,” “Indonesian,” or any other of the countless musical genres I heard pipping over the public airwaves or crackling out of my mom’s old reel-to-reel tape recorder. I wasn’t yet conscious of musical styles as well-defined, easily-labeled, intellectually-specific entities. For the most part, I didn’t even know their names.»

Freedom in the groove, Joshua Redman

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário